The Villa Farnesina is an architecturally elegant Renaissance villa found in the Via della Lungara, a part of the Trastevere district in Rome. Built for the Sinese banker Agostino Chigi, the villa was designed and erected by Baldassare Peruzzi along with Giuliano da Sangallo between 1506 and 1510. Chigi, who also happened to be the treasurer of Pope Julius II commissioned the work of artists like Sebastiano, Raphael, Giulio Romano and II Sodoma for the fresco decoration related to the villa.
The renowned of frescoes happen to be the Raphael’s frescoes found on that of the ground floor, where in the loggia the depiction of secular and classical myths in the form of Cupid and Psyche as well as The Triumph of Galatea stands out as remarkable ones. At Villa Farnesina, in the elegant Salla delle Prospettive, the frescoes of Peruzzi embrace trompe-l’oeil to the finest degree. The architectural tricks performed by Peruzzi stand the test of time as it creates a convincing optical illusion as of today.
Villa Farnesina became a property belonging to the Farnese family during 1757, and takes the name from the family. In 1861, Villa Farnesina belonged to the Spanish ambassador staying in Rome. Presently, the Italian state owns this villa and the renowned Roman academy pertaining to sciences, the Academia dei Lincei as well as the Roman Gabinetto dei Disegni e delle Stampe are housed at the Villa Farnesina.