Santi Quattro Coronati
As an ancient basilica found in Rome, Santi Quattro Coronati dates back to the fourth century and is devoted to four of the anonymous martyrs and saints. The fortified Cardinal Palace, the two courtyards, the St. Silvester chapel as well as the Monastery belonging to the complex of this basilica is built between that of San Giovanni in Laterano and Colosseum.
The church was rebuilt in 1246 giving it the look of a fortress, as the cloisters can be accessed from the left nave. Constructed in Romanesque style, they date back to the twelfth century. The Chapel of St Barbara found here belonged to the first church, as the sculpted corbels here date back to the fourth or the fifth century. Traces of Frescoes belonging to the ninth and thirteenth century have survived as they can be spotted in the chapel.
The Santi Quattro Coronati has three naves, as the matronea can be found on the eastern side, which is but a gallery earmarked for women. The apse here unveils frescoes that date back to the seventeenth century, as one can find the coffered ceiling and cosmatesque floors. The skull related to St. Sebastian that is venerated can be seen placed at the left portion of the altar. The martyr’s relics an now are kept at the ancient scarophagi, and in the crypt. The Capella de San Silvestero is also a part of the church, which is but the oratory of St. Sylvester.