As an elegant square, Piazza Farnese in Rome is dominated by the presence of Palazzo Farnese, which is a wonderful Renaissance building and is the centerpiece of this square.
Palazzo Farnese took shape from the designs concocted by Antonio da Sangallo the younger, as there were other prominent architects belonging to the 16th century who had contributed to this palace, which include Michelangelo, Giacomo della Porta and Jacopo Barozzi da Vignola. The palace first got designed in 1517 and it expanded in conception and size in 1534. The palace was constructed for Cardinal Allessandro Farnese in the sixteenth century. The palace now houses the French Embassy.
Piazza Farnese unveils many streets forking out in different directions, and the square is also known for the two compelling bathtub fountains that were adapted from the Baths of Caracalla in the sixteenth century.
At Piazza Farnese, one can spot the Santa Brigida Church, which was rebuilt in the eighteenth century. This church is dedicated to the Swedish Saint Bridget. Also, Piazza Farnese is just an alley away from the bustling Campo de’ Fiori.
There are cafes lining the street that leads to the commercially active campo, with the Piazza Farnese being silent and elegant. The famous Saint Peter’s Basilica is just a short walk from Piazza Farnese.