Piazza del Popolo
The large square of Piazza del Popolo literally carries the meaning of ‘People’s Square’ and historically takes the name from poplars. Lying inside the northern gates pertaining to Aurelian Walls, Piazza del Popolo had been the starting point related to Via Flaminia which had been the road leading to Ariminum or the modern Remini, as it also connected Rome to that of the Adriatic coast.
Rameses II, an Egyptian obelisk from Heliopolis can be spotted at the heart of Piazza del Popolo. Pope Sixtus V had been responsible for moving it from Circus Maximus to the square’s center in the year 1589. The oval shape of the square resulted from the design of Giuseppe Valadier that was done during the period 1815-16.
Three streets can be seen branching out from Piazza del Popolo forming the trident, as the junctions pertaining to the roads get defined by the twin churches of Santa Maria in Montesanto and Santa Maria dei Miracoli, which unveil the symmetrical balance as well as variety in Baroque fashion. Porta del Popolo stands to the northern sector of the square that leads to Santa Maria del Popolo church. One can spot the Carabinieri station standing opposite Santa Maria del Popolo church, with the dome reflecting the image of the church.
Towards the eastern and western section of Santa Maria del Popolo church, fountains designed by Giovanni Ceccarani can also be spotted, as it gets flanked by that of the neoclassical statues.