Palazzo Montecitorio is a palace spotted in Rome which is now recognized as the seat pertaining to the Italian Chamber of Deputies. It was designed for Cardinal Ludovico Ludovisi by Gian Lorenzo Bernini, but the work was stopped due to the death of Gregory XV in 1623.
The work restarted under the papacy of Pope Innocent XII and had got completed by Carlo Fontana, an architect of that age. An additional bell gable was introduced by Carlo Fontana, which was a modification made to Bernini’s plan.
Papal courts were installed at by Carlo Fontana in the year 1696, as it later became the home of Governatorato di Roma as well as the police headquarters. Solarium Augusti, an excavated obelisk was installed by Pius VI in the frontal portions of the palace in the year 1789, as it is now called Obelisk of Montecitorio.
The original palace to fit into the role of Chamber of Deputies as when the Unification of Italy took place in 1861 was rebuilt in the early part f 1900s, as the façade was left intact. The long as well as the impressive salon of Transatlantico was added by Ernesto Basile, the architect. The debating chamber here features numerous decorations that embrace the Art Noveau style, colored glass making up the canopy as well as the bronze figures that flank the governmental and Presidential benches.