Palazzo della Cancelleria
The palace of Palazzo della Cancelleria in Rome is situated between the Campo de’ Fiori and the current Corso Vittorio Emanuele II. As from the ground up, it was the first palace to be built in such a fashion embracing the new Renaissance style as it got constructed during the period that extended from 1489 to 1513. The long façade is Florentine in conception as the grand doorway to the Palazzo della Cancelleria was added during the sixteenth century through the efforts of Domenico Fontana.
The bone-colored travertine was taken from the Roman ruins related to the theatre of Pompey, and at the inner courtyard, the forty four Egyptian Granite columns were taken originally from this theatre. The two lower floors of the rectangular central courtyard get represented by that of open arcaded loggias. The Cancelleria here was erected for Cardinal Raffaele Riario.
The long façade of Palazzo della Cancelleria engulfs the fifth century Basilica Church pertaining to San Lorenzo in Damaso and the Cardinal titular church spotted at the right portion. The Basilica of San Lorenzo in Damaso is held as one of the early Christian churches of importance in Rome, which has been supported by excavations conducted here.
The vast mural in the Palazzo della Cancelleria, which is the handiwork of Giorgio Vasari was done within a time period of 100 days. Cardinal Petro Ottoboni installed a private theatre at the palazzo, and the Cancelleria had got elevated as a focal point of musical activities in Rome. The palace had also been the place where the Roman parliament sat in 1849.