Campo de Fiori
A rectangular piazza found near Piazza Navona in Rome is the Campo de’ Fiori and it literally alludes to ‘field of flowers’. It was during the period of Boniface IX that the first church nearby this square was built, as the church now faces Piazza Farnese. Campo de’ Fiori is not an architecturally formalized square and it has been associated with street and commercial culture.
The surrounding streets related to Campo de’ Fiori have taken trade names, as that of Via dei Balstrari (crossbow-makers), Via dei Capellari (hat-makers), Via deil Baullari (coffer-makers) and Via dei Giubbonari (tailors). When Sixtus IV installed new streets for accessing, the square became the host to flourishing horse market, as lot of hotels, shops and inns started sprouting in Campo de’ Fiori.
Campo de’ Fiori is also known for capital punishments that were held at the square publicly, and in 1600, Roman Inquisition had the philosopher Giordano Bruno burnt alive at this square. Since 1869, the square has witnessed a fish and vegetable market during the morning sessions, as the ‘la Terrina’ or that of Superbowl, which was an ancient fountain that watered cattle once is now a place that keeps fresh flowers. Campo de’ Fiori is also a popular joint for the young people during the night time.